WASHINGTON, D.C. – March 22, 2013 – (RealEstateRama) — With her family and friends by her side, Lillian Thompson, a long-time resident of the Marina Manor Public Housing Development, and one of the Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles’ (HACoLA) first Marina Manor residents, was honored by HACoLA’s Resident Council at a “Celebration of Life” event as she turned 103 years old.
Lillian Thompson has lived at Marina Manor, located in Marina del Rey, since HACoLA acquired the property in 1984. Before moving to Marina Manor, which consists of 183 public housing units for senior and disabled residents, she was offered other public housing units, but she loved the Marina del Rey community and knew it was the place for her. Looking back, Lillian says living at Marina Manor for the last 29 years was a “Godsend.” HACoLA describes Lillian as a model resident, truly loved by her neighbors, and comments that over the last 29 years, she has never been late on her rent.
Born in Washington, D.C. in 1910, Lillian never graduated high school, but instead got married and moved to Minnesota in 1948. Through her resilience, at age 50, she received her GED. She believes that the key to a happy life and longevity is “eating slowly, constantly drinking water, and walking.” In her early years, she would take long walks and utilize public transportation whenever possible. At the age of 90, Lillian was in a bus accident, and after a difficult surgery, could no longer partake in her much enjoyed strolls.
Lillian now enjoys playing bingo, but her son Koyayi Ampah and six grandchildren are what bring her constant joy. Koyayi says his mother is still very self-sufficient and knows how to take care of herself. She spends her time watching Love and Hip Hop, Mob Wives, and any “judge” show on television, and appreciates a good piece of chocolate or anything with shrimp.
Lillian is proud to say that her greatest inspiration is President Obama, and advises current Marina Manor residents to “always speak your mind.” HACoLA applauds Lillian for the contributions she has made to the quality of life at Marina Manor over the past 29 years, and is happy to join in the celebration of this wonderful milestone.
No related posts.
- Brown Directs Nation’s Fourth Largest Home Lender to Suspend Foreclosures Until It Proves It Is Complying with the Law
- Rep. McNerney Writes Bipartisan Bill to Aid Homeowners Facing Foreclosure
- Low interest rates fail to spark August home sales; home prices continue to increase despite improving housing inventory
- Rep. Peters Challenges ‘Early Dismissal’; Demands Vote to Protect Pregnant Workers
- LA County Helps Flood-Prone Homeowners Prepare for Storm Season
- CHF|CIRB Releases July 2014 Housing Statistics
- California Board of Accountancy Elects Michael Savoy as Vice President
- AMB Property Corporation(R) to Hold Analyst/Investor Forum on Tuesday, September 18, 2007
- Conforming loan limits extended through 2010
- Verdict One Releases Directory of Board Certified Attorneys for Consumers
- Inglewood Board of REALTORS® offers Clarus MarketMetrics® as a member benefit
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Royce to Host Combat Fraud Forum
- Royce to Host Combat Fraud Forum
- STARK LAUDS EXTENSION OF UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS
- REMINDER: Royce to Host Combat Fraud Forum
- C.A.R. reports California home sales rise in December, posting seven-month sales high